Author Topic: International Cricket Thread  (Read 66125 times)

Offline ozzie

• Perv
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
International Cricket Thread
« on: 26-08-2008, 16:05:50 »
Haddin full of praise for Geeves
By Wayne Heming
August 26, 2008
WICKETKEEPER Brad Haddin has endorsed the arrival of Tasmanian quick Brett Geeves following his promotion to Australia's one-day squad for the three-game series against Bangladesh in Darwin.

With bowling spearhead Brett Lee taking time out to deal with his marriage break-up and Adelaide speedster Shaun Tait still not ready to return, Geeves has an opportunity to take the next step if he carries some impressive domestic form into the international arena.

"He's probably been the form bowler in the one-day form of the game so he deserves his opportunity," said Haddin, champing at the bit to play his first home series behind the stumps since Adam Gilchrist retired.

"Brett led Tasmania to a one-day final last year so he's right for the picking.

"He's a competitor which is all you can ask for."

Geeves finished last season as the one-day competition's equal leading wicket-taker with 15 at an average of 25.20.

He was named man-of-the-match in the Tigers' thrilling win in the final and also finished the Pura Cup with 37 wickets.

"It doesn't get any better than this," said the 26-year-old righthander of his call-up to the national one-day squad.

"I'm up here learning from the best in Australia and I couldn't ask for any more."

Meanwhile Haddin, who has recovered from a fractured finger, said the Top End series against Bangladesh was a great opportunity for him to shine.

"For me personally it's another international," he said when asked if it was difficult to get up to play one of cricket's lesser lights.

"It's the first time I've had the opportunity to keep in Australia since Adam (Gilchrist) retired.

"I'm jumping at the bit to have an opportunity to play in front of an Australian crowd."

With Matthew Hayden pulling out, Haddin could be pushed up the order because of his ability to score quickly.

"I've been lucky I've batted from one to seven," he said as the Australian team completed its two-day camp in Brisbane.

"In the early days it was a little difficult getting used to that.

"But I think as you get older and you mature more for a personal point of view, I'm not really fussed these days.

"I'm pretty comfortable in the role I've been playing at six and seven in the middle order."

New ozzie pace bowler for the one dayers. Not very interesting I agree but I'm noticing alot of very average journalism recently and thought I'd share it. Either that, or Haddin is an idiot.
what?

Offline Occy

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: International Cricket Thread
« Reply #1 on: 26-08-2008, 22:46:47 »
Pissed myself laughing when I heard Geeves had been picked.  Gives me hope of a call up.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-08-2008, 03:18:37 »
Australian crickets starting the slow downward spiral, not much we can do really
They'll be flags, banners, costumes, scarves, a deafening cauldron of noise. Main stand, Centenary, Anfield road and the Kop singing together..for the boys

Offline kopdude

• Resident King of Boluda's
  • Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #3 on: 27-08-2008, 05:24:06 »
Gilchrist retired?  Even from test cricket?
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline Occy

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-08-2008, 07:26:16 »
He retired ages ago.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-08-2008, 08:46:41 »
Yeh was at the first day of his last test. We all knew something was up, had very average day  with the gloves and im not lying when i say we all went away that day knowing that it was only a matter of time before retirement beckoned. Rocked up at the ground the next day to the news he had retired.

Great player, changed the game of cricket globally and knew when the time was right to retire from the game not vice versa.
They'll be flags, banners, costumes, scarves, a deafening cauldron of noise. Main stand, Centenary, Anfield road and the Kop singing together..for the boys

Offline ozzie

• Perv
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-08-2008, 10:07:20 »
I think the internet is killing quality journalism. I mean "jumping at the bit" and "right for the picking". Come on. If you put something in print you try alot harder to make it right. On the internet, who gives a ****?

With regards to cricket, it seems he had a good season and that should be rewarded. And Brett Lee and Tait can't seem to handle it so we should give someone else a chop. To be fair, I can't see how you're predicting the death of ozzie cricket lfc. We have a ****-load of depth in this country. We have lost some great players and the team will never be the same but I think it's far too early for the fat lady.
what?

Offline Occy

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-08-2008, 10:10:41 »
Hilfenhaus is a far better bowler than Geeves, despite the fact that last season wasn't his best.  But Geeves could be being looked at for his batting also.  He is a very good, hard hitting lower order batsman.  Scored a 100 in a local 20/20 game down here last season within 11 overs.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-08-2008, 10:20:13 »
no way do we have the depth of other nations and whilst our old experienced players have enjoyed good years towards the end of there careers they have at the expense of us blooding new young players. Name me one exciting batting prospect whose going to light up the world like clarke, symonds, ponting. Mike Hussy is proberbly it and hes a good 28 with 4 or 5 good years left in him. All the lads from WA - north, marsch, voges, rogers are the future but haven't had a decent chance.

Now compare us to a team like india who have had there same experienced core just like we have but have been bringing in youngsters regularly to the point of which currently they have the good deliema of weather they should retire some of the old guns to clear the way for these promosing youngsters who are more then likely to do more then very well at international level.

i am by no means saying that its the death of aust cricket just that i dont see us with options for the future. Bowling wise is properbly worse in the rotation there isnt a single young bright light or young spinner coming through, taits proberbly it but hes still deciding on weather or not to pack it in.

Offline Occy

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-08-2008, 10:23:51 »
Phillip Hughes.  Give it 3 years and he will be in the Australian team. 

Shaun Marsh is still very young and will cement his place in the one day lineup.

There are many others.

Just because we aren't playing as many young guys as other countries doesn't mean our depth is poor.  It just means our established players are so good.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-08-2008, 10:32:53 »
YEs actually, phil hughes is a bright light. Was talking to a mate about his potential along with steven smith young lad for NSW who i used to play with.

things could be very interesting in england and india and surely the latter would have to be favourites. It would only take a hard series loss for the media to go nuts and changes to be made

Batting side is just a matter of getting them in and getting them used to the step up to international cricket. The term used to be when NSW cricket is strong aussie cricket is strong, i really believe WA will hold a lot of the future of aussie cricket. Bowling is still an issue with no young up and comers. Everyone used in recent time is around the same age, in a few years i wonder who will be around johnson making up our bowling attack
« Last Edit: 27-08-2008, 10:43:52 by lfc.07.au »

Offline Stephen_King

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
  • ' gum degi'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-08-2008, 12:38:27 »
Phillip Hughes.  Give it 3 years and he will be in the Australian team. 

Shaun Marsh is still very young and will cement his place in the one day lineup.

There are many others.

Just because we aren't playing as many young guys as other countries doesn't mean our depth is poor.  It just means our established players are so good.

You'll win fuck all with players called Hughes and Marsh.

Offline kopdude

• Resident King of Boluda's
  • Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #12 on: 27-08-2008, 14:38:31 »
Just shows how much I have been following cricket since the world cup, unless it is India playing and even then, not unless they are playing someone substantial.  ICC tournament coming up in few weeks.  That should be fun.  Any thoughts on who will win that?  I still cannot see past the Aussies, but since Gilchrist is not there, that's a bonus since he was the worlds best wicketkeeper.
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline Stephen_King

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
  • ' gum degi'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-08-2008, 15:19:43 »
Just shows how much I have been following cricket since the world cup, unless it is India playing and even then, not unless they are playing someone substantial.  ICC tournament coming up in few weeks. 

My rather shrewd guess is nobody.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-08-2008, 20:03:55 »
postponed till next sept