Author Topic: The NBA Thread  (Read 59918 times)

Offline Hyypia Legend

• Super OOT
  • Neville 4-1 Oedipus
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Thread
« Reply #870 on: 15-06-2011, 14:56:34 »
How has he proven he has got more of a killer instinct when none of his teams have ever even made it to the NBA finals, while Lebron has carried a team on his own to the NBA finals?  I don't dispute that Lebron chokes in big games or goes missing when it needs to count, but I don't necessarily agree that CA has more of a killer instinct.

Check out the stats in the regular season. Carmelo is second only to ....  

Kobe Bryant.

I know it's not the same as the playoffs but it takes a certain mentality to close and Melo has it. People say he's a ball hog but as Jordan himself said, without the ball you can't win the game and you have to be prepared to miss the shot and then take the next one. This is what stops LeBron being one of the greatest of all time and it's also what makes Melo a better pure scorer. He will take and make any shot you give him time and time again and when he misses he'll be waiting for the ball the next time like the last time never happened.

But the playoffs is what counts in the end.  And Melo has not done shit in the playoffs.  Lebron has still done a lot more than him just in Cleveland alone.

He might not have done as much as LeBron but the complete and utter laughable way he is viewed and spoken of is beyond belief. He's one of the most complete pure scorers the game has ever seen. If it's the last shot there's only one player I want and his name is Carmelo Anthony.

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2011/04/14/knicks_playoffs/

Lacks a killer instinct? Please.
« Last Edit: 15-06-2011, 15:10:05 by Hyypia Legend »

Yashin - N.Santos - Sammer - Kohler - D.Santos - Redondo - Souness - Mazzola - Di Stefano - Zico - Van Basten

Offline kopdude

• Resident King of Boluda's
  • Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #871 on: 15-06-2011, 19:51:01 »
I never said he lacked a killer instinct.  The initial point of your argument, before you went on a tangent about CA being the best pure scorer in the game, is that he had more of a killer instinct than Lebron .  And  that is clearly not the case with the way Lebron carried Cleveland to the finals.
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline kopdude

• Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #872 on: 16-06-2011, 03:46:09 »
Howard has stated he won't be signing a new contract with the Magic.  :)

C'mon Lakers.....trade up Bynum and Odom now!   You know we need it.
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline grandrake

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: 16-06-2011, 09:38:09 »
Must suck to be a Magic fan. Lose Shaq, lose Penny, lose McGrady, now they'll lose Howard. Just too cruel for the fans.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: 16-06-2011, 10:51:56 »
If he goes to the lakers ill be pissed, some teams just have it too easy. The big market favourability is a joke
They'll be flags, banners, costumes, scarves, a deafening cauldron of noise. Main stand, Centenary, Anfield road and the Kop singing together..for the boys

Offline grandrake

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: 16-06-2011, 13:27:13 »
If he goes to the lakers ill be pissed, some teams just have it too easy. The big market favourability is a joke

Well, it hasn't helped the Knicks much though! HA HA HA. :D

You still have to get the players to play together, and have a proper coach. And there's at least the draft to help the smaller market clubs get a shot (they'll have to do a great job keeping the guy though).

If you're disgusted by the imbalance due to the economics, you shouldn't be watching football. :D

Offline grandrake

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: 16-06-2011, 13:47:10 »
Here's an interesting post I found, while checking out NBA market sizes. Of course, actual population isn't really the same as the NBA fan population but I think it's good as a rough estimate. Haven't bothered to confirm the numbers, let's take it that they're right for now (as of Apr 2010).

In the last 10 finals (i.e. 20 contesting teams):
- teams outside the top 5 markets were represented 11 times (Detroit, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, Cleveland, Orlando)
- teams outside the top 5 markets won 6 of the titles (Detroit, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio x 3)

---
Source: http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1004809

Many times on this board most seem to get annoyed by the "ignorance/hate" that many US reporters show when dissing TO as a large NBA market.

Here is a list of largest metropolitan areas in US and you can see how much an NBA franchise spends/wins regardless of direct market size:

1) New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA - 21,976,224
    2) Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA - 17,775,984
    3) Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI - 9,725,317
    4) Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV - 8,211,213
    5) Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH - 7,465,634
    6) San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA - 7,228,948
    7) Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 6,382,714
   8 ) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX - 6,359,758
    9) Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX - 5,641,077
    10) Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL - 5,478,667
   11) Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL - 5,463,857
   12) Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI - 5,410,014
    13) Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 4,039,182
    14) Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA - 3,876,211
    15) Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI - 3,502,891
    16) Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO - 2,927,911
    17) San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA - 2,941,454
   18) Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH - 2,917,801
    19) St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL - 2,858,549
    20) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 2,697,731
    21) Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA - 2,462,571
    22) Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Truckee, CA-NV - 2,211,790
    23) Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC - 2,191,604
    24) Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA - 2,137,565
    25) Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, OH-KY-IN - 2,147,617
   26) Orlando-The Villages, FL - 2,053,623
    27) Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS - 2,034,796
    28) Indianapolis-Anderson-Columbus, IN - 1,984,644
    29) Columbus-Marion-Chillicothe, OH - 1,953,575
   30) San Antonio, TX - 1,942,217
---

Offline Hyypia Legend

• Super OOT
  • Neville 4-1 Oedipus
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: 16-06-2011, 14:01:14 »
I never said he lacked a killer instinct.  The initial point of your argument, before you went on a tangent about CA being the best pure scorer in the game, is that he had more of a killer instinct than Lebron .  And  that is clearly not the case with the way Lebron carried Cleveland to the finals.

That shows LeBron is more of a complete player not more of  complete scorer or better in game winning situations (I.E. killer instinct).

Last 5 seconds who do you go to, LeBron or Melo?

Melo has much more of a killer instinct.

Yashin - N.Santos - Sammer - Kohler - D.Santos - Redondo - Souness - Mazzola - Di Stefano - Zico - Van Basten

Offline kopdude

• Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #878 on: 16-06-2011, 18:06:54 »
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: 17-06-2011, 02:58:58 »
Last 5 seconds you go to Kobe. Still the best option after all these years. As much as i hate to say it
They'll be flags, banners, costumes, scarves, a deafening cauldron of noise. Main stand, Centenary, Anfield road and the Kop singing together..for the boys

Offline kopdude

• Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #880 on: 17-06-2011, 03:51:05 »
I agree with that.  And I am not just saying that as a Lakers fan.  He is clutch, but he cannot do it all himself as evidenced this season.

Offline grandrake

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: 17-06-2011, 04:13:36 »
I'd go with Kobe as well, though I think sometimes he over-stretches himself in these situations. Just tries to do too much and forces things at times. If there's one thing that truly separates Kobe and MJ, it's this aspect of the game. MJ was unstoppable because (his skills aside) he was so gracefully smooth in the way he established his control over opponents and the game. He'd tamed forced shots and trying to do too much by himself by the time he got his first ring against the Lakers.

BTW, I'm really glad to see Kidd win a ring, just as I was when Hakeem finally won his first, and Drexler got his the season after. If there's one veteran I wish would get it next season, it'd be Steve Nash.

And if there's a veteran whom I was glad didn't win a ring this season - it's Juwan Howard. Something about the guy just turns me off.

« Last Edit: 17-06-2011, 04:15:22 by grandrake »

Offline kopdude

• Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #882 on: 27-06-2011, 01:41:43 »
lfc, you pretty psyched to get Jimmer in the draft?  I would be if I were a Kings fan.   He's a good player.  Reminds me somewhat of Bird.  Of course, the NBA is a huge step up, but I think he can make the grade. 

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: 27-06-2011, 13:43:08 »
yeah geoff petrie usually drafts well so im hoping he'll be a good addition. Alot of hype surrounding him hoping he can produce. Him and Tyreke can be an amazing duo in time. We will have to wait and see i guess.

Dont know about the trade though, giving up one of our most consistent players last season in beno for salmons who was a king prior and isnt really a fan fav with his ball dominating tendencies is hard to take for most. Im willing to see how it all works out but im sceptical. Tyreke dominates the ball as much as it is.

This offseason is huge, seems were trying to make the switch from building to trying to make the playoffs. Our key FA dalembert seems to be on route to another team which is a huge loss considering how every top team needs a solid defensive center holding the lane. My biggest nightmare is that we try turn the team into a crazy offensive force that doesnt play a shade of defence. Talk we might try bring in a major frontcourt addition but really i dont know how it fits. Dalembert is perfect next to the young offensive Cousins. DAvid west and nene have been mentioned but i dont want either. In due time both Tyreke and Cousins will be 20+ pt players we dont need to add more firepower or there simply wont be enough touches going around. Thornton last season averaged 20 for us and if Jimmer progresses we will have quite a young offensive group in itself. The SF and C positions just need to be glue guys who play defense.

Its all well and good to try model the team on the earlier kings of the decade where the likes of Bibby, Webber, Peja could light it up on any night but really it was about guys like Divac and Christe, Bobby Jackson off the bench and Pollards hussle that kept the ball moving and locked down on defence.

Im very worried going into this offseason. Im excited about jimmer but i just hope we dont screw what we have going with stupid FA additions. Give me team basketball, a young ground that can grow together, ball movement and defense

Offline Hyypia Legend

• Super OOT
  • Neville 4-1 Oedipus
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: 27-06-2011, 16:38:59 »
Ha I picked out Iman Shumpert as the sleeper pick in the draft and the Knicks went and got him.

I am seriously high on this kid, same as I was on Fields and Douglas.

Anyone hear about Wolves offering Flynn to us for Douglas? Get outta here!