Author Topic: Keanes book #2  (Read 372 times)

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
Keanes book #2
« on: 10-10-2014, 21:31:43 »
Wall to wall coverage over here for the past week. Nothing major but a few interesting discussion points. Surprised he did it and not sure it really benefits him or anyone else for that matter. But it is an honest account of what he thinks by the sounds of it and makes it interesting because of that.

Not that I would buy it but I did enjoy the discussions I heard on the different radio shows. One thing they did play was that you can get the audio book of it too with Keane reading it out. Really does give you his perspective.

Offline Negative

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: Keanes book #2
« Reply #1 on: 11-10-2014, 00:31:05 »
I love him for what he did for Man Utd, but at the same time I just don't find anything of his account credible enough. I'm not saying he lying or anything like that, but he's been bitter ever since Fergie (rightly so) kicked him out.

Roy's got every right to state his opinions and (in his mind at least) facts, but so do I: I think he's acting like a bitter twat who's almost trying to ruin his own legacy at the club.
Jimmy Carr: Wayne Rooney wears the #10 shirt, or as he calls it, "The stick and the circle".

Offline ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-10-2014, 10:03:08 »
Maybe he's received a tax demand which he needs to pay off. I too can't see any point to a volume 2. What's he actually done since volume 1?

As much as I share his hatred of the megalomaniac Ferguson, I can't see any point in this at all.
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-10-2014, 13:38:53 »
I don't think it's anything to do with money. Hard to know obviously as I would have thought no ex Premiership players would suffer financial issues but they're beginning to surface in recent times. I am talking about the players who were getting the money when the tv money exploded. He's still being paid well, he made a fortune previously and he's not divorced! Doesn't seem to have gambling or drinking problems but he does have 5 kids so maybe that's it.

I think it's to do with answering things that have been said about him over the years and in particular Ferguson. What is coming across from the book it seems is that he is a seriously complicated character. He's definitely changed as a person since he retired and you can see him starting to accept mistakes he made. The way he left Utd and in particular Saipan. Everyone knew at the time he'd regret it. That he was throwing away his last chance of a World Cup. A World Cup he pretty much single-handedly got the team to. Yet he was adamant he was doing the right thing for a long time after. He now accepts he was wrong and made a huge mistake. A mistake that cost him.

And that's where you start to see the insights into his character. He talks about getting himself into great positions and then completely f*cking it up. There is an Irish trait there. In that you can't be seen to be getting above yourself. He talks about tormenting himself with that sort of thinking. Going to buy a new car and then thinking who the f*ck was him buying the flash new car. So he just wouldn't do it. You compare him to other players in the team, who weren't as good, who weren't the captain and who weren't paid what he was paid. Yet they could have a fleet of cars and have a level of confidence far above what they should ever have. Yet he never could. He'd be getting above himself.

There's also been a flood of different journalists coming out too with their experiences of dealing with him. And so far, none of them have been really dismissive or derogatory of him. Well from what I have read. It's not that they agree with what he says. Like everyone, they agree with parts, disagree with other parts. They just all seem to follow the same line that he was an odd character. Where you had to deal with him on his own terms or he wouldn't deal with you at all. There was a time and a place to talk to him and you couldn't go outside of that. I've heard accounts of him refusing to talk to particular journalists because he was in the middle of some preparation and telling them off because of that. But 5 minutes later saying he was ready to talk to them. Stories of giving out to fans for asking for autographs and pictures because of the way they went about it or something like that and then posing with them a couple of minutes later. Also that he would give journalists his number but tell them he would be changing it in a few weeks. So definitely odd but if you worked within that he was actually alright.

Some apparent funny parts too. A lot of teams like to have certain music jeering them up before games. The Irish squad would have rebel songs blaring in the background. Got them into the zone. All clubs tend to have something. Whereas one of the times he was at Sunderland, the players had Abba Dancing Queen going. Keane was completely dismayed.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-10-2014, 14:45:29 »
The man is too bitter about how it ended at Utd to give an honest account of things I'd say. Him vs Ferguson reminds me of Fowler vs Houllier in his book.

Volume 2 shows that it is stupid to release a biography before one's career ends.

Book aside, he has had a go at Mourinho this week and he is entirely right in what he said.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-10-2014, 15:33:55 »
I think volume one was the one that was more damaging in terms of showing why you should not release one while still in the game. But certainly I don't think this helps. Further down the line, you'll probably get a better feeling of what really happened between him and Ferguson. What they seem to be suggesting is that Ferguson knew what he was doing and gave him enough rope to hang himself at the club. But listening to his criticism of Ferguson, one of his main points was that Ferguson achieved greatness at the club. He has a statue, a stand named after him and made an absolute fortune out of it. Keane said he shouldn't be knocking those who helped him achieve that. Seems like a valid point but I haven't read what Ferguson said about the team.

It's just a shame that the two, so responsible for the success they brought Utd, fell out the way they did. But I suspect the two are very alike and herein lies the problem. But Keane was always going to be a problem as he came to the end of his career. He was never going to accept not being the player he once was. It was probably only ever going to get the better of him. For a guy that demands so much, to not be able to meet your own standards was always going to torment him.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-10-2014, 15:53:41 »
I am no fan of Ferguson, but it is very clear that he won and Keane lost. 9yrs later and Ferguson has not spoken much about the issue, whilst Keane is still on and on about it. Last year when there was that Keane/Vieira TV special it was amply clear that he still had an axe to grind. Clough his best ever manager, his best Utd XI containing nearly all those who fell out with Ferguson etc.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-10-2014, 17:58:54 »
Yeah but it was like that with Saipan too. For years he was very adamant he did the right thing. It's only now that he realises he didn't. And it was a slow process to get there. He slated McCarthy, Niall Quinn and Given etc. He ended up going to work for Quinn at Sunderland, apologised directly to McCarthy and is working with Given now at Villa and Ireland. A big factor in that of course is that none of these guys seemed to have held a grudge against Keane whereas you can expect Ferguson to be as pigheaded as Keane is.

I don't think anyone got the better of Ferguson while he was at Utd. Certainly not from within. With the one big exception of JP McManus and John Magnier. But you'd expect that considering where he brought them.

anything