Author Topic: Euro 2016  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Negative

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2016
« Reply #60 on: 10-07-2016, 23:27:24 »
You're a dick without a dick.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11-07-2016, 13:18:46 »
1-0 it was with an Eder goal in ET. Portugal worked hard for the result and I think they deserved it in the end.

Offline ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11-07-2016, 13:23:19 »
France p*ssed away so many chances in normal time that it seemed inevitable that they'd get hit with a sucker punch. Apparently Eder didn't have a single shot on target during his time with Swansea, so inevitable that he'd score a pretty tidy looking goal.
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline kopdude

• Resident King of Boluda's
  • Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #63 on: 11-07-2016, 13:24:18 »
They worked hard, but I don't agree they deserved it.  To me, it was more like France completely cooked it up when it mattered.  The only silver lining, if there is even one in these that's winning, is there is a new country who had never won it before.
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11-07-2016, 13:25:31 »
He did change the game once he came on. Portugal played the ball to him as they finally had a reference point up front and he won many duels and also many fouls. What Euro 2016 did show is that few squads had classic out and out strikers and many teams suffered as a result e.g. Germany, Spain and to a lesser extent France and Italy. Funnily enough in Vardy, Kane and Sturridge the England squad had the most, but their manager made up for that.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 11-07-2016, 13:26:36 »
They worked hard, but I don't agree they deserved it.  To me, it was more like France completely cooked it up when it mattered.  The only silver lining, if there is even one in these that's winning, is there is a new country who had never won it before.

Portugal worked hard. Their keeper made some good saves and France were unlucky only on one occasion with Gignac hitting the post. Otherwise it was a game lacking a creative spark. I hope Pogba joins Utd for 120 after that display hehe

Offline kopdude

• Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #66 on: 12-07-2016, 04:15:22 »
I know they worked hard.  That's what I said.  They still didn't deserve it.   Pogba will absolutely kill it at United.  I hope he does not join them.
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline Negative

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 12-07-2016, 13:07:04 »
I'd love Pogba back (if he isn't using us to get a raise from Juve, that is), but his price tag is insane.
You're a dick without a dick.

Offline kopdude

• Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #68 on: 12-07-2016, 15:21:25 »
Yeah, he's not worth what they are asking.  Fucking good player though.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 12-07-2016, 21:40:27 »
Pogba is a good player, but 100-120m? Not even close.

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 18-07-2016, 06:48:38 »
yeah maybe Portugal didn't deserve but sorry France didn't either. At home, against an average team who lose their only threat and biggest player. Portugal also played extra time numerous times during the competition and were tired and france still couldn't beat them - fuck off france and congrats to Portugal.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
I think not.

Offline shass

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21-07-2016, 12:04:00 »
Enjoyed bits and pieces. England, Iceland, Wales, NI, Brady goal vs Italy.
Russia and England fans were a disgrace.
Irish fans, North and South enjoyed themselves and added to the tournament.

The fans who enjoyed themselves and supported their teams well out shone the dickwad hooligan wankers, that was great to see.

The game has changed too I think. 'Lesser' teams have caught up a lot, and a good manager is now essential. I think it's more important than it ever was, sure a top manager has always made a difference, but in todays game, when the majority of coaches are of a high standard, the very top ones need to be that bit more special. The bar has been raised.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21-07-2016, 20:41:04 »
That coupled with the fact that international footie is no longer the high standard of football it was. The CL and top leagues see much better football. A disciplined, organised team can go a long way in an international tournament nowadays.

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 22-07-2016, 06:29:22 »
Yeah you can look at it two ways....the lesser teams have caught up or the better teams have fallen back......

maybe a mix of both. For me, the way the game has changed, that top teams are more structured, say like a mourinho team or conte team. They are set out, hard to break down first and foremost and build on that. That is the easiest way to play football. so the lesser teams coipy that and even with lesser or more average players, that can still reach success cause its an easy way of playing the game.

So the top teams have adapted an easy strategy - it requires high levels of concentration and discipline, im not saying its easy, im saying its easier than playing the way, say a Barcelona do. and this structure and way of playing is easier to copy for a lesser team and lesser players can do it every bit as effectively as top players, even more so as very often a lesser player is more dedicated/disciplined cause he has to be.
So the top teams aren't battering teams any more, cause it isn't in the nature of how a lot of them play. Its for this type of reason that the likes of Holland did qualify if you ask me. Lesser better organized teams could beat them cause Holland wanted to just go and play - you just cant do that.
And its also for these reasons that there aren't as many outstanding talents around anymore. You look back 10-15 years, look at the strikers that were around. brilliant ones all over the place. Apart from the three lads at barca and Ronaldo(if u consider him a striker), who is a top level striker in world football? Aguero? Griezman? Anyone else? The game is suffereing cause of how the tactics have changed.
Defensive structure, organization, discipline is the main thing now and lesser players can meet those attributes much easier than they can copy the skills of a messi or a suarez. So that for me is why the tournament wasn't great and why lesser teams are catching up or bigger teams are falling back, whatever way you want to put it.

And it may also be why the great players aren't forwards anymore, they are midfielders, even defenders, even goalkeepers maybe. Skill and technique is being coached secondary to physique and discipline. Kinda sad ina  way. There'll always be the payets and the messi's and the like but its gonna get harder and harder for them to make the break through when teams are looking for Kante's and big strong powerful guys rather than the skill and technique.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
I think not.