Author Topic: Ballon Da Or  (Read 378 times)

Offline ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
Re: Ballon Da Or
« Reply #30 on: 16-01-2015, 17:17:33 »
Let's be fair here, Germany weren't exactly the stand out team. They were good and deserved winners. But most of the top tier of teams have fallen spectacularly. Spain imploded. Holland had a real lack of class players outside of 3. Brazil struggled by but were always liable to being destroyed at some point. Argentina were all about Messi who wasn't quite himself. Other star players like Aguero were never quite fit or just not the same as they are with their club like Hugain. Whereas some of the lower down nations are now well coached and much more of a threat then before.

I think if you put some of the good managers in charge of Germany you'd expect them to win it too or at least come very close. Germany have a history of doing well regardless of the side but they did have a strong side. Whereas if you did the same with Athletico you wouldn't expect anyone really to win the league and get to the final of the CL. It's rarely been done and may not be done anytime soon again.

Ah yeah sure things to win. Sure we all had 1000 euro on them didnt we? Nobody was tipping the then world and european champions Spain, or Brazil to win it in their own back yard seen as they ahdnt lost a game at home for 20 odd years, or Argentina with the best player in the world and a load of high profile supporting acts.
Nope everyone knew Germany without their best player in Reus as well as other key injuries were going to stroll to it. Sure it was obvious.

Erm, I tipped them on the World Cup thread on this very forum.
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16-01-2015, 18:39:09 »
Actually in Robser's very own poll, they were joint favourites with Argentina

http://www.bootroom.org/smf/index.php/topic,23179.0/viewresults.html

and I stand by my comments. They weren't the stand out favourites but they are always dangerous and have some serious players. Even Robser goes through pretty much everyone and knocks them down for various different reasons. Most of that was right. I just don't think anyone expected Spain and Brazil to be so bad. Italy could have gone either way but I don't think anyone really expected them to go out in the group stages not because of Costa Rica.

Germany were always going to be a threat but they got it so right and came into such good form at exactly the right time. At the same time, everyone else more or less collapsed or got it wrong. With the exception of some of the lower teams who did get it right but could only go so far with the resources at their disposal.

For me, Loew winning it is like winning the Premiership with Chelsea. Yes, beating City is a big thing and to win a title is a big thing. There is also a team like Utd lurking who aren't as strong as before but still are a danger and have the experience and mentality to win it if allowed. Whereas what Simeone did was the same as winning it with Spurs.

Offline Negative

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16-01-2015, 19:02:10 »
Spain's identity crisis had already begun before the WC, and Brazil benefited early on from home support and favorable refereeing.

Germany's success is in no small part down to Bayern's core, much like Spain's success was down to Barcelona's core.
Stupid reporter: "Can you give us a sense and idea of what your transfer strategy will be?"

LvG: "No."

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-01-2015, 21:29:20 »
Whatever the issues they had before the WC they weren't expected to implode the way they did. No one expected that. And where it's easy to say they should have used other players etc, I mean their bench was better than most other teams including probably their own first team! They were on track to beat the Dutch. 1-0 up and Silva misses a great chance to make it 2-0. This is a Dutch team, who are usually arrogant enough in their own abilities, that didn't rate their chances. The Dutch public didn't think they had the quality. Yet out of nowhere, Van Persie scores that goal and everything changes. This is a game that broke the Spanish and made the Dutch.

Even at that, you never expected them to lose to Chile. And it was just a train crash waiting to happen.

You would have expected them to make it out of the group and who knows after that. Fabregas could have been played and Costa could have come good and all of a sudden there's a different look to them. Not saying they would have won it but no one wanted to play them in the knock out stages.

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20-01-2015, 10:49:05 »
Well i am glad to see you all made a apcket so out of backing the 5/1 certainties.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
I think not.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20-01-2015, 11:02:00 »
I did not watch any games. I knew Germany would win it. Why bother? hehe

Offline shass

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20-01-2015, 12:20:35 »
I had all my money on Atletico.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20-01-2015, 12:23:29 »
Funnily when one points towards Valencia winning La Liga in 2002 and 2004, the same people who call Atletico's achievement amazing try to dismiss Rafa's achievement back then. Eh Nos?

Offline ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20-01-2015, 12:29:11 »
Germany's success is in no small part down to Bayern's core, much like Spain's success was down to Barcelona's core.

So Pep Guardiola should have won really then? ;)
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20-01-2015, 20:46:07 »
Ah look, there's a number of sides you just don't bet against in the World Cup. Namely Germany, Argentina, Brazil and Italy. They have won World Cups and tend to be there or thereabouts. You add in Spain as the current World and European champions and that's your favourites for this tournament. You go back to the last World Cup and it was the same and the same for the last 25 years or so and probably before that. Those are the 4 to beat and there's always a chance that there is another strong footballing nation who have a good set of players that year. The likes of Spain, France and Holland. These are footballing countries that have always had the players but for some reason never had the team. Obviously France and Spain have since won the cup.

Funnily when one points towards Valencia winning La Liga in 2002 and 2004, the same people who call Atletico's achievement amazing try to dismiss Rafa's achievement back then. Eh Nos?

No, not at all. What he did was amazing and I have never dismissed it. There was criticism that he did it at a time when both Real and Barca were weak or at least struggling but there's nothing you can do about that. Athletico won when Barca struggled last year. It tends to happen to the stronger teams when they aren't in the race and they are expected to. My criticism of Benitez was for his handling of Liverpool. His approach for La Liga and Valencia did not work in the Premiership. It worked in Europe and La Liga but I don't see it really working in any league since. He seems to have done alright in Serie A but nothing better than that.

anything