Author Topic: Serbia vs Albania  (Read 489 times)

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: Serbia vs Albania
« Reply #15 on: 17-10-2014, 18:12:32 »
It is a bit mad but the likes of Germany too have a tendency to always be there or there abouts. I think the difference now is that the Italian teams are a lot weaker now than they have been in a very long time. You look at the likes of the players AC are signing and you see that. The best team in Serie A will always be a strong enough force but the league itself is not attracting anywhere near the best talent. What's worrying is that there isn't much domestic talent coming through either. At least that's what it seems from the outside.

So that has to have an effect on the national team. There have always been some really good players in the set up and then others that played at the highest level with good AC, Juve etc teams.

If the likes of the top 4 or so said, you know what, we don't have the cash to lure in the best talent anymore, so lets try and bring through players. It would bode well for the national team. It's what seems to be happening in Spain and Germany outside the really big teams that have money. It's not happening in Italy or England. But England has the cash in its league and can bring in top level talent. Maybe not the best players just yet. They still go to Real or Barca because of the cash. That could change soon. And that means the league is very strong. Trouble is that's no good when it's made up of mostly foreigners (from an international point of view).

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18-10-2014, 15:25:22 »
Italy never have good teams and still win world cups. Well not never, but if you look at 06, mad they won it. They are just one of those sides that you cannot write off

2006 they had Buffon, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Gattuso, Totti, De Piero, Inzaghi in that squad. Not a surprise they won it. They would tend to not play well but get results at times, but there was quality all throughout that side.

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20-10-2014, 09:45:06 »
At the time, nobody was looking at them as potential winners though Nerik. yes looking back you can say they were great players but back then, most people thought the likes of cannavaro was on the wrong side of 30, Pirlo not as well respected outside Italy as he is now, Totti always had question marks at international level and del piero was cetainly not the player he once was thought to be.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
I think not.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20-10-2014, 14:28:15 »
They were always named as one of the teams that could win it Robser. Sure a lot of people were mentioning Argentina and Germany, not to mention Brazil. Pirlo had been instrumental in AC Milan reaching 2 CL finals in three years prior to the WC, Cannavaro was in his prime. Agree re Totti though.

Offline shass

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20-10-2014, 14:53:42 »
I'd a tenner on them.

It's hardly a full proof arguement though, as it's pretty much a one off as far as my betting is concerning.

Online ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24-10-2014, 16:36:25 »
Its all gone mental at UEFA.

Serbia awarded default win 3-0 because they refused to play on after it kicked off.

Then Serbia have 3pts deducted for crowd trouble.

Mayhem!
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.