Author Topic: Stewart Downing  (Read 13724 times)

Offline nobody

• The Specials
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart Downing
« Reply #15 on: 08-07-2011, 04:25:56 »
None of our signings so far excite me.   It's going to be a long ******* season again if this is what we are going with.

I really don't think we have much choice because we can't entice high calibre players whilst not in Europe. This is a rebuilding year where we should be aiming at a domestic cup and consolidating in the top 4.
Duct tape. Turns "No" into "mmmmm"

Offline GR_Moyesin_Man

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-07-2011, 04:28:47 »
None of our signings so far excite me.   It's going to be a long ******* season again if this is what we are going with.

I really don't think we have much choice because we can't entice high calibre players whilst not in Europe. This is a rebuilding year where we should be aiming at a domestic cup and consolidating in the top 4.

That's a weird choice of words, given that we've been out of it for 2 seasons now... :D

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-07-2011, 06:05:55 »
Don't do anything for me. This is kind of like Carroll in a sense where no one was actually saying go out and get him, he'd be a brilliant signing for us and exactly what we need. Only then to start saying it after the player is signed. I see Henderson and Downing in that. Adam not so much because of the cost. There is a crucial difference though this time round. Few were willing to question the Carroll deal whereas a lot of people are questioning the Downing one. Less so the Henderson one but the same sort of backing isn't there.

I mean I don't remember anyone saying way back at Xmas, what we need to do is spend the guts of 80m on the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Adam and Downing and we'll be a force to be reckoned with. Neither did anyone say at the start of the summer say get Henderson, Adam and Downing and that's 3 crucial areas sorted.

I also notice there are less fanfare threads exclaiming how great the signings are and to stop the questioning. Even those guys are gone quiet.

In short, I think the majority of fans remain to be convinced with what's going on.

Have you ever told us who you'd like us to sign Nos?

Offline ozzie

• Perv
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08-07-2011, 07:22:49 »
Noone.  They're all shite.
what?

Offline B1

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-07-2011, 08:05:16 »
downing will suprise in a quality side i think... i liked watching him at borough and he seems to have done well at villa as well.. not sure why everyone is so down on him tbh...

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-07-2011, 08:24:05 »
We're gonna sign Downing for 19m and Villa are going to sign N'Zogbia as a replacement for 9m - a far better, younger, more talented, still to peak player!

We're fucking spa's.

And wigan will sign SWP as replacement for N'Zogbia for 4 or 5m. Even that little dopeis  better then Downing. Downing is fucking SHITE.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
I think not.

Offline Rob Jones

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-07-2011, 08:38:08 »
downing will suprise in a quality side i think... i liked watching him at borough and he seems to have done well at villa as well.. not sure why everyone is so down on him tbh...

At anythihg near the prices being quoted, it will be madness to sign him.  I would personally prefer that we don't sign anyone in that position and play with we have there instead of seeing us sign Downing.  I would prefer to see Suarez, Maxi, Gerrard or Meireles play there rather than see us folk out over 15-20m for Downing.  He isn't good enough.  He is very average, I would say.

I have heard some fans saying that this is the kind of player we should expect to sign because we can't offer CL football and then they say that he is the kind of player who can get us back in the top 4.  But how can we get back into the top 4 by signing inferior players compared to our rivals?  City want to sign Nasri, Arsenal want Mata, Spurs have Bale, Utd have Young, Nani or Park who can play there and we go for Downing?  How can you expect us to compete and overtake them with inferior players?

Offline Gravedigger

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-07-2011, 08:54:56 »
I think Maxi wants to go home in Argentina.  Didn't he say that earlier?   I think Liverpool are looking for two left-sided wingers to replace Jovanovic and Cole (it costs Liverpool to pay over 200,000 per week).   I'd take BOTH Downing and N'Zogbia to replace Jovanovic and Cole on the left wing because they are probably cheaper with even better assists in the long term. 

If Downing/N'Zogbia signed for Liverpool, they will be happy to learn how to improve, they have got one of the best coaches in the world.   There should not be any problems.

Offline GR_Moyesin_Man

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-07-2011, 10:49:57 »
I have heard some fans saying that this is the kind of player we should expect to sign because we can't offer CL football and then they say that he is the kind of player who can get us back in the top 4.  But how can we get back into the top 4 by signing inferior players compared to our rivals?  City want to sign Nasri, Arsenal want Mata, Spurs have Bale, Utd have Young, Nani or Park who can play there and we go for Downing?  How can you expect us to compete and overtake them with inferior players?

I actually think Downing might be a bit like Park - not stellar but a reliable role player you could pull off the bench or call upon during an injury crisis to fill in and contribute decent minutes when on the pitch.

But our priority right now should be to get some gems who can immediately address crucial flaws in our game (lack of pace, crossing ability, creativity, ball retention ability); the depth will be improved when we get better players who can convincingly relegate the likes of Carra, Skrtel, Maxi, Lucas, Kuyt, etc. to the bench.

Offline B1

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-07-2011, 10:54:33 »
i think in this team downing would start on the left... he showed alot of pace and promise at borough and then won player of the year for villa. i agree over priced and that mata would be a far better option but i def dont think he is a bad as everyone is making him out to be! he would add width to our side which is desperately lacking in that department, is a solid crosser with a great left boot who is pacey. if he added a bit of flair he would be great but def capable of adding to our side....

Offline Rob Jones

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-07-2011, 13:05:06 »
I actually think Downing might be a bit like Park - not stellar but a reliable role player you could pull off the bench or call upon during an injury crisis to fill in and contribute decent minutes when on the pitch.  

Agree with you there, except that I believe that Park is better than that.  As I said for 6-8m and as a squad player, Downing would be a decent buy.  But if you are paying the kind of figures being quoted then you wouldn't be looking for someone who would improve you only marginally but rather for someone who can improve over your rivals and give you an edge.  But Downing isn't going to offer you that because to start with, your rivals have got much better than him in that position.
« Last Edit: 08-07-2011, 16:01:42 by Rob Jones »

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-07-2011, 17:53:26 »
I really don't think we have much choice because we can't entice high calibre players whilst not in Europe.

Well we got Suarez in. The thing to remember is that we are paying CL wages. So it's not impossible for us to get these players. It's just difficult when we're up against clubs that are winning things and are in the CL.

Have you ever told us who you'd like us to sign Nos?

I really don't know. I didn't watch a whole lot of football last year because it was so depressing. With us out of the CL, it didn't draw me to that either. But I know what positions we need. And to be honest we needed to be strengthen all over. A good LB, CB, CM, LM, RM and striker wouldn't go astray. So we're addressing some of the positions or at least trying to. But I think we're going overboard in the CMs. And if we sell off Meireles because of that I think it's a very bad move.

I then to gauge the reaction of people in here to get a good idea of how certain players are thought of. I know myself how good Clichy is. Players like Mata and Hazard have always got high praise and virtually no questions. Also a few of the French midfielders we were linked to have got good reports.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-07-2011, 18:02:39 »
Should also add I would have liked to have seen Young come in. Rate him. But I'm not sure of the fee that was involved there.

Offline mouse

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08-07-2011, 18:13:26 »
Should also add I would have liked to have seen Young come in. Rate him. But I'm not sure of the fee that was involved there.

16 million but sure he just wanted to go to Man Utd. I believe he's on 130k a week as well

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-07-2011, 18:26:29 »
I think it rises to 20m though. But as I said, once the other CL clubs get involved we really don't have a chance. In all honesty, why would we? There are still a lot of questions to be answered. The likes of Utd and Chelsea are too long there to fall back and stay back. Chelsea of course have the backing and will change things quickly if they go wrong. Utd have the backing and have Ferguson. Hard to know with Arsenal but they haven't been out of the CL for a number of years. Might be a difficult season for them and they are a risk. With City in the top 4 and the backing they have, they are going to be a force. May not win the big things and could implode quite easily. But a force all the same and should stay in the top 4.

You're just not going to chose us over them unless there is a very good reason. That could be regular football in the case of City and Chelsea. Or it could be to do with money if it was Arsenal. But at Utd, well there is money to be had and there is stability. If Ferguson says he wants you and you'll play, it's hard to refuse that. Above all, you have the best chance of success.

anything