Author Topic: Liverpool v Brighton: FA Cup Match Thread  (Read 1958 times)

Offline lfc.07.au

• Super OOT
  • Believe lads believe
    • View Profile
Liverpool v Brighton: FA Cup Match Thread
« on: 12-02-2012, 00:44:10 »
Liverpool v Brighton
19 February 2012, KO: 16:30

At home with Everton to follow in the league. Sure a win but with our inability to break down teams and create in recent time who knows.

330am for the aussies
They'll be flags, banners, costumes, scarves, a deafening cauldron of noise. Main stand, Centenary, Anfield road and the Kop singing together..for the boys

Offline mouse

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool v Brighton: FA Cup Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: 12-02-2012, 16:27:43 »
Should be finishing my coaching course at around 4:30 so got a good chance of watching this

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-02-2012, 22:03:04 »
Which licence are you doing mouse?

Online ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-02-2012, 11:00:55 »
I wouldn't say a win is assured here.

Brighton chasing play offs and even promotion, 5 wins in last six games. Vicente beginning to fire on all cylinders. They're useful.

And as Nerik will probably point out, I should know, I'm a bloody ST holder at the Amex.

However I EXPECT us to win, let's put it that way. It won't be a stroll in the park though.
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-02-2012, 13:34:15 »
They played some good footie but we still won relatively comfortably in the Lge Cup earlier this season. We are home for this one and with no other games during the week I expect us to field a strong team for this one and hopefully win it relatively comfortably.

Online ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-02-2012, 13:53:42 »
I hope so, but Brighton were struggling back then, and they are firing now.

There'll be some bragging rights to consider with the missus though. She's demanding I take her to a prominently Liverpool pub and she's insisting on wearing her scarf and other shite. Let's hope she hasn't got any reason to start dancing round the pub and upsetting the locals!!
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-02-2012, 14:22:37 »
Are there prominently Liverpool pubs in Brighton?

Online ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-02-2012, 15:53:35 »
There are yes, the Montpelier Arms being the well known one. Watched the 2005 CL Final in there and after the match Jeff the landlord (resplendent in his red Liverpool shirt) was handing out bottles of Cava and we were standing on tables spraying everyone in the pub. Gerry and the Pacemakers on full blast on the pub sound system. Quite a night.

However, we'll be in the Isle of Man next weekend, so I'll take her to one there.

Offline kopdude

• Resident King of Boluda's
  • Owner
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
    • The bOOTroom
« Reply #8 on: 13-02-2012, 19:09:49 »
Let's hope she hasn't got any reason to start dancing round the pub and upsetting the locals!!

And if she does?  You have the porsche ready for the getaway?
"Or, you could just shut your festering word-hole. For pete's sake, you Mac people are worse than the Jesus people. Not every freaking problem's solution begins with a lower-case i."

Offline mouse

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-02-2012, 20:36:25 »
Which licence are you doing mouse?

Only level one but it's a start

It'll look good on the CV next to my level two counselling course ;)

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-02-2012, 23:25:23 »
Level one? Do you then go for a UEFA C after that?

Offline mouse

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-02-2012, 23:48:40 »
I really don't know Nerik...

I just assumed it would go to level two

Online ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-02-2012, 12:26:18 »
Scouting Report:

So, despite possibly feeling that Liverpool at Anfield might be difficult to overcome, and chasing a playoff place and possibly even a promotion place, Poyet fielded a weakened team last night and it bit him on the arse. Before the game, I remarked to the girlfriend that he'd be an idiot not to go all out for a Championship position and have a half-hearted but good go at the FA Cup. The team list went up and my girlfriend laughed at me and gave it the 'what the hell do you know?' stuff.

Buckley, Vicente and El-Abd (Buckley is their highest scorer this season - albeit he is a wide midfielder, El Abd a no nosense defender and Brighton player of the season last year) weren't even in the squad. LuaLua and Noone (tricky quick wingers) were on the bench. A mix of regular first teamers and some loanees and reserves on the pitch.

Passing is woeful, and apart from Calderon playing a few blinding crosses that no one managed to control and do anything with, they had no cutting edge at all. Millwall (languishing in 20th) went 1-0 up after half an hour. Although enjoying less possession their passing was better and more purposeful.

During the second half Brighton managed to equalise - Sam Vokes was probably the only player (along with Calderon) to emerge with any credit from this game.

Millwall scored again a few minutes later. After throwing LuaLua and Noone on, LuaLua takes a freekick on about 90 minutes and lucklily for Brighton, the Millwall keeper does an uncanny impression of Robert Green and lets a ball coming straight at him, dived, body behind the ball, squirm up out of his grip and spin over his shoulder to trickle into the net.

A lucky draw.

Brighton were very poor, their minds didn't look to be on this game at all. They've rested their best players and seem to be focusing on us on Sunday. I just hope they are still as poor as last night, even with all the big boys back.

Offline shass

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-02-2012, 12:36:12 »
as a season ticket holder manx, do you have wish for an upset at all? not even a bit, it would be understandable...

Offline Nerik

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-02-2012, 12:39:03 »
Looks like a very close race in the Championship with some 10 teams in with a realistic chance of promotion. Following last night's defeat away to Coventry my Leeds' supporting friends seem to think their season is over now.