Author Topic: Downing is better than I thought - Dalglish  (Read 738 times)

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
Downing is better than I thought - Dalglish
« on: 21-01-2012, 10:53:34 »
Downing is better than I thought - Dalglish

Published 22:00 20/01/12 By David Anderson

(32)
    Recommend (4)

stewart-downing-liverpool-cropped

Kenny Dalglish insists Stewart Downing has performed better than expected since his £20million transfer.

The England winger still has to win over some sections of the Kop since his summer switch from Aston Villa, and has managed just one goal in 24 appearances for Liverpool.

Fans are frustrated that his best displays this season have been with three lions rather than a liver bird on his chest, but Reds boss Dalglish admits he has made it hard for Downing by playing him out of position.

“Stewart is a fantastic footballer, an England international, who made a big move in the summer to come here,” said the Liverpool manager.

“For me, he’s better than I thought he was going to be.

"I don’t think it’s been too comfortable for him because we’ve played him in two or three different positions. Maybe we have to look at ourselves and say we have to be fair as well.

“But he’s better than I thought he was. He’s a better footballer - he’s also quicker than I thought.”

Even though Downing has failed to get fellow new boy Andy Carroll firing, Dalglish refuses to judge the midfielder after six months.

He still believes in Downing and claims he needs more time to get used to Anfield’s intense spotlight.

“This is a massive club. With all due respect to the other clubs he’s been at, it’s going to take a little bit of time to get used to the surroundings, which is only natural,” he said.

“But we haven’t had any change of opinion on him as a player from what it was before.

“You have to be patient with every new player who comes in. But the most important thing is having the ability to play, and everyone in our squad has the ability to play.

"He’s got more crosses in than anyone else, according to the stats. That’s part of his job, and the other part is to put them in somewhere where we’re going to score goals from them.

“He can only do what he does, and that’s put some decent crosses into the box. Then we have to get on the end of them.”

Downing’s next chance to impress is at struggling Bolton in Saturday's tea-time match, when the Reds will try to register an 11th successive win over their north-west neighbours.

Dalglish feels for fellow Scot Owen Coyle as he tries to turn Bolton around, and claims his Trotters counterpart has not been helped by the board’s decision to sell England defender Gary Cahill to Chelsea now rather than lose him on a free in the summer.

“It has been difficult for Owen and Bolton this year, but I’m sure they will buckle down and get themselves out of the mire,” he added.

“Although financially it might have been a good deal for Cahill, I don’t know whether it was the best football decision for Owen - unless he has someone lined up to replace him.”

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
Re: Downing is better than I thought - Dalglish
« Reply #1 on: 21-01-2012, 11:09:26 »
Still have hopes that Downing can do something for us. I have heard quite a good bit about him at 'Boro and Villa. So I am really hoping he can add something as the season progresses. But as I said before, at Villa he added to what was there and consolidated the talent. He could cover a few positions and with the players they had already like Young and Milner, he could enhance the team. For us, he needed to be a key signing (at that fee). And I don't think he was ever going to be that.

Offline Timothy

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-01-2012, 13:20:01 »
He only really picked up properly when Milner fucked
off- still, I rate him, he's getting better.

Online zaphod

• Global Moderator
  • Super OOT
  • Half-full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-01-2012, 13:37:08 »
- How bad did he think he´d be??
FSG cock-sucker

Offline Rob Jones

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-01-2012, 14:05:00 »
I was reading this in the morning and my first thought was when you imagine this is coming from the man who signed Digger when we needed a left winger, it shows far we have fallen.

Offline Rob Jones

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-01-2012, 14:31:23 »
Still have hopes that Downing can do something for us. I have heard quite a good bit about him at 'Boro and Villa. So I am really hoping he can add something as the season progresses. But as I said before, at Villa he added to what was there and consolidated the talent. He could cover a few positions and with the players they had already like Young and Milner, he could enhance the team. For us, he needed to be a key signing (at that fee). And I don't think he was ever going to be that.

Nos, he has been really poor.  And if Kenny thinks he is better than he thought he was, then I ask myself what he was thinking before paying 20m for him.  He has been really poor in most of the games.  Anonymous and ineffective.  A lot of us here could see what was coming and we were questioning the signing.  At least here, we do question things.  There are some forums where you can't question anything that Dalglish does.

There is something hilarious that I saw in another Liverpool forum.  When Downing was being signed, some fans were saying that he is a great player and he is going to be perfect for us and that he is going to be value for money.  Then someone came up with posts of the same fans at the time MON signed the player for £12m and at that time these fans were actually laughing at MON.  The general reaction from them was, 'can't MON see beyond English players?' and 'Downing is shite' or 'Downing is waste of space' or 'thank God, he isn't going to be linked with us anymore'.  Some of them were questioning the 12m being paid for him.

Fans can be extremely fickle at times.  But surely, I was expecting much better from Dalglish.  In his Liverpool and Blackburn days, he  was known to be ruthless against mediocrity.  It's painful to watch him argue the cases of Carroll and Downing these days.

Offline Nosferatu

• Administrator
  • Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-01-2012, 01:03:06 »
I said 'hope'. I really don't know a lot about him but I can't believe that every signing we spent decent money on this summer ends up being shite. At least I am trying not to believe.

Yeah MON gets abuse around the place including here. Who was he to knock the club before. But he does get a lot more out of players traditionally than anyone else. Even had Collymore playing again at one point. It is a disadvantage to be domestically based and picking up the local players. MON was notorious for taking so long in deciding but he took risks and picked up players no one else would for the fees involved. Obviously not everything worked but more often than not it did.

But he was working at a level less than the one we are at. He worked at the £10-12m level as opposed to the £20m level. Love to see him at that level and really see if he could make it at the top level.

Offline mouse

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-01-2012, 14:09:05 »
- How bad did he think he´d be??

This

One goal and no assist and lets be honest, he's been mostly average whenever he starts

Like Nos, I do hold hope for him because he's only been here a few months but I expect most of us expected him to be a lot better... he's an experience pro so not really much excuses. You could understand if we brought a 21 year old.

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-01-2012, 13:51:02 »
He's fucking shit. As shit as I expected him to be cause he is a fucking shit player!
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
I think not.

Offline B1

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-01-2012, 18:30:34 »
had a good game against city.. good reaction after kenny backed him, lets hope it continues so i can tell robser how wrong he was ha ha

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31-01-2012, 13:52:02 »
Yeah lets hope. Highly doubt it though.

I think not.

Offline ManxRed

• Super OOT
  • You B*st*rds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31-01-2012, 14:42:10 »
He's OK, but that's about it. He certainly hasn't set Anfield on fire which was what I was hoping for.
Sometimes I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

Offline Robser

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-02-2012, 06:37:19 »
Look at this twat. He played average v a championship side and he's delighted with himself:

Winger Stewart Downing admits it would have been easy to "spit the dummy" and look for excuses after a testing start to his Liverpool career.

However, the England international has knuckled down on the training ground and believes he has come through his rough patch.

The £20million signing from Aston Villa was the most expensive of Kenny Dalglish's seven summer arrivals but after a promising start performances began to fade.

Downing found what had been a regular place in the starting line-up more difficult to come by but insists there were no complaints from him.

"The easy thing is to spit the dummy out and point out everything around that is going wrong," said the 27-year-old.

"I have had some good games and some indifferent games and I have been on the bench sometimes when I have been used to playing every week.

"That has been a bit hard getting used to but I have adapted quite well, I think

"But the only thing you can do is keep training well.

"If you are not training well you won't be picked - Kenny addressed that on day one. You have to train well if you are in the team or not: you have to be ready when called upon.

"Kenny sees everything. He watches training day in, day out. If you are not performing or you start spitting the dummy out you will not be playing so there is no point doing that.

"You have got to play well and be ready when he picks you and give him problems - reasons to keep picking you."

Downing admits the level of criticism he has received in recent weeks came as no surprise as he fully understands the exacting standards which are required at Anfield.

"There is a lot more pressure here - but not as big as it has been. You are under the microscope every day, people are pointing but that is Liverpool, that is why you want to be here.

"You have got to blank that out. It is challenging every week, it pushes you on as a player - to play in finals."

Downing will be hoping for that opportunity on Sunday when Liverpool face npower Championship side Cardiff in the Carling Cup final - the Reds' first for five years.

The winger has been involved in two previous League Cup finals, watching from the bench as Middlesbrough beat Bolton and then playing in the defeat to Manchester United.

But after having one of his better games in the 6-1 FA Cup win over Brighton, also from the Championship, last weekend Downing is eager to play his part at Wembley.

"Obviously it is in the back of my mind that there is a final coming up, but not only that, for personal pride you want to play well, especially in front of your own fans, giving them something to shout about," he added.

"The performance against Brighton was one of my most satisfying so far.

"I was fully involved and I enjoyed it. If you work hard the good things come and hopefully I will play some part in the final."

This summer Downing has international ambitions with England going to Euro 2012.

With the departure of Fabio Capello he knows a good finish to the season will help his chances with the new manager.

"I am sure every England player that has been involved over the year will be itching to do well now," he added.

"It is the back end of the season, the business end and there is a new manager coming in.

"It is a fresh start for every player so if you play well you will be on that plane to the Euros, but if you don't you won't be.

"That is a big incentive but I think the main thing is Liverpool.

"It would be nice to win a medal and two would be even better."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7539407/Downing-Thinks-He-s-Adapted-Quite-Well-

I think not.

Offline Rob Jones

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-02-2012, 07:19:42 »
His notable performances this season were against Bolton (at Anfield) and against Brighton.  Probably levels he is better suited to.

Offline shass

• Super OOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24-02-2012, 10:54:24 »
he was excellent for fookin england in a game! croatia i think.

anything